Several years ago we started doing a book advent to help us count down to Christmas. We do a few other advents, but this is the one the kids look forward to the most. I wrap up 24 books and each night we unwrap one book and read it together. I've had a few people ask me what books we use so I thought I would list out the books we read this year. I have acquired a nice little collection of Christmas books so I can pick and choose which ones I want to use each year. When I first started this I didn't even have enough books to make a 24 day advent, but we have 37 books now. The books have come from all over: the thrift store, teachers, family and each year I order a new book or two. On the inside cover of each one I write: The Jones Family and the date. If the book was a gift I put that person's name on the inside with the date.
I put our family favorite books in bold.
Our 2014 book advent: (In order of the first book we opened to the last)
- The First Christmas
- The Nutcracker
- The Animals' Christmas Eve
- Snow Happy to be Here: Slightly Silly Story of the Snowblatt Family
- The Biggest Snowman Ever
- If You Take a Mouse To The Movies
- The Littlest Christmas Tree
- The Legend of the Candy Cane
- Frosty the Snowman
- God's Precious Gift In a Manger
- Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas
- The Crippled Lamb
- A Christmas Carol
- Santa Is Coming To Georgia
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (This book reads to the kids)
- A Bad Kitty Christmas
- The Story of Jesus
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas!
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell
- Christmas with Krabby Claws
- The Polar Express
- Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer
- The Gift of the Magi
- The Night Before Christmas (This book reads to the kids)
I would love to hear what your favorite Christmas books are.
I'm always looking to add to our collection.